An Attorney Resume requires meticulous attention to detail, effective communication, and an understanding of the legal industry. As an attorney you should demonstrate your commitment to the legal profession and highlight your area of expertise, such as litigation, corporate law, or intellectual property.This comprehensive guide will walk you through each section of an attorney resume, from your objective statement to your educational background, and provide tips for creating a powerful and effective document.
Arno Markus BA, MSc., CPRW
iCareerSolutions CEO and Founder
About the author
Arno Markus is a 20X Award-winning Certified Professional Resume Writer and founder of iCareerSolutions. Arno has worked with Fortune 500 Executives, North American Professionals, and Strategic-Thinking Leaders across all industries to assist them in landing Top Positions at Billion-Dollar Companies, Start-Ups, and everything in between.
Active Members of The National Resume Writers’ Association (NRWA) │ The Professional Association of Resume Writers & Career Coaches (PARW&CC) │ Career Directors International (CDI) │ Career Professionals (CPC) │ Forbes Coaches Council
Table of Contents
Attorney Resume Sample
Looking for a resume for the Attorney Position? Let us help you land more interviews by helping you create the best resume for you. Book a call today to speak directly with our CEO and Founder, Arno Markus!
Ligitation Attorney Resume Sample
Resume Strategy: John felt he had fulfilled all challenges in his current role and was looking for an exciting new Attorney opportunity. He was looking for an opportunity where he could utilize his trial skills and contribute to a successful legal team.
His career was builts in pecializing in contract disputes and personal injury cases. He understood people as much as he understood numbers and he wanted to continue to utilize his strengths in his next role. We needed to showcase his leadership, initiative, case management, legal research and writing, negotitation and dispute resolution skills.
He instinctively understands and identifies problem areas and quickly turns around those problems in appropriate ways. It was important to establish him as an innovator in not only processes but also behavior changes, with sound, quantifiable results.
He was very satisfied with the end product and his resume has opened many doors to date.
How to write Attorney Resume
As an attorney, your resume should showcase your experience, skills, and accomplishments in the field of legal practices, emphasizing your ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with customers and ensure their satisfaction. Here are a few steps to help you write an impressive Attorney resume.
Select the Right Resume Format
Choosing the right resume format is crucial to presenting your experience and skills effectively. There are three main resume formats to consider:
- Chronological: This format lists your work experience in reverse chronological order, focusing on your career progression. It is ideal for customer success manager with a steady career path in the same industry.
- Functional: This format emphasizes your skills and achievements rather than your work history. It can be useful for those with career gaps or transitioning to an customer success manager role from a different field.
- Hybrid/Combination: This format combines elements of both chronological and functional formats, highlighting relevant skills and achievements while showcasing your work experience. It is suitable for customer success manager with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Powerful Summary for Attorney Resume
A powerful summary for an attorney resume should be concise, engaging, and tailored to the position. It must emphasize your most significant accomplishments, relevant skills, and experience that showcase your suitability for the role. Here’s a step-by-step guide to writing a compelling summary for your customer success manager resume:
- Contact Information: At the top of your resume, include your full name, phone number, email address, and LinkedIn profile URL.
- Resume Summary or Objective: Write a brief, 2-4 sentence summary or objective statement that highlights your most relevant experience, skills, and career goals. Tailor this section to the specific job you’re applying for.
- Emphasize Your Litigation Experience:When listing your professional experience, make sure to emphasize your litigation-related accomplishments. In each job entry, highlight your:
- Trial experience:
- Case management:
- Legal research and writing:
- Negotiation and dispute resolution: Share examples of successful settlements or alternative dispute resolution methods you have participated in, such as mediation or arbitration.
- Work Experience: List your professional experience in reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent job. Include your job title, the company’s name, location, and the dates of your employment.
- Education: List your highest level of education, including the degree obtained, the name of the institution, and the year of graduation.
- Highlight your Skills:List your skills and expertise relevant to litigation practice, including:
- Oral advocacy and courtroom presence
- Discovery and evidence management
- Legal strategy development
- Familiarity with litigation software and technology
- Cross-functional teamwork and collaboration
- Showcase Certifications and Awards:If you have received any awards or honors related to litigation practice, be sure to include them on your resume. Examples may include:
- Moot court competition awards
- Law review or journal publications related to litigation
- Recognition for pro bono litigation work
Attorney Resume Summary Example
Detail-oriented litigation attorney with six years of experience in civil litigation, specializing in contract disputes and personal injury cases, seeking a position that allows me to utilize my trial skills and contribute to a successful legal team.
Attorney Resume Summary Example for Law Firm
Experienced corporate attorney with a proven track record in mergers and acquisitions, seeking a position that allows me to utilize my expertise and contribute to the growth of a dynamic law firm.
Showcase Your Core Competencies
To showcase core competencies in an attorney resume, create a dedicated section that highlights your most relevant skills and expertise. This section should be easy to scan and tailored to the specific position you are applying for. Here’s how to effectively showcase your core competencies:
Review the job description: Carefully read the job description to identify the most important skills and expertise the employer is seeking. Make a list of these requirements to ensure you address them in your core competencies section.
Choose 10-15 relevant competencies: Select the most pertinent skills from your list that align with the job requirements and demonstrate your ability to excel in the attorney role. These should include a mix of hard and soft skills that showcase your leadership abilities, strategic thinking, and industry-specific knowledge.
- Organize your competencies: Arrange your core competencies logically for a balanced appearance. This will help recruiters quickly scan the section and identify your most relevant skills.
- Tailor to the position: Remember to customize your core competencies for each attorney position you apply for, emphasizing the skills and expertise that are most relevant to that specific role. Here are some relevant skills to an attorney resume:
- Legal research
- Legal writing
- Oral advocacy
- Client counseling
- Trial preparation
- Trial strategy
- Case management
- Document review
- Drafting pleadings
- Drafting motions
- Drafting briefs
- Direct examination
- Closing arguments
- Opening statements
- Jury selection
- Appellate advocacy
- Analytical thinking
- Critical thinking
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Active listening
- Interpersonal skills
- Emotional intelligence
- Conflict resolution
- Collaborative teamwork
- Relationship building
- Ethical decision-making
- Decision-making under pressure
- Strategic thinking
- Project management
- Risk assessment
- Risk management
- Regulatory knowledge
- Contract drafting
- Contract negotiation
- Contract analysis
- Corporate governance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property law
- Employment law
- Tax law
- Real estate law
- Bankruptcy law
- Family law
- Criminal law
- Civil litigation
- Personal injury law
- Environmental law
- Administrative law
- Constitutional law
- Health care law
- Immigration law
- Securities law
- Antitrust law
- Human rights law
- International law
- Cybersecurity law
- Data privacy law
- Legal technology proficiency
- Legal research software
- Legal document automation
- Legal project management software
- Social media for legal professionals
- Public speaking
- Writing for different audiences
- Presentation skills
- Client relationship management
- Marketing and business development
- Legal ethics
- Pro bono work
- Community engagement
- Legal education and training
- Financial analysis
- Billing and budgeting
- Knowledge of industry-specific laws and regulations
- Cultural competence
- Foreign language skills
- Mediation certification
Detail Your Work Experience
Listing your experience on an attorney resume is crucial. For each position, include the job title, company name, location, and the dates you held the position (month and year). Ensure consistency in formatting throughout this section. Present your experience using 3-5 bullet points for each position. This format makes your resume easy to read and helps recruiters quickly identify your key accomplishments. Here is an example of how to list experience section on attorney resume:
Litigation Attorney, Smith & Associates, , New York, NY (2019 – Present)
- Represented clients in over 30 trials, achieving a 75% success rate in securing favorable verdicts or settlements.
- Conducted extensive legal research, prepared pleadings, and drafted motions and briefs for complex civil litigation cases.
- Managed a diverse caseload, prioritizing tasks and coordinating with clients, opposing counsel, and court personnel.
- Successfully negotiated settlements in 20 cases, resulting in over $5 million in damages recovered for clients.
Corporate Attorney, Johnson & Stevens, New York, NY (2017 – 2019)
- Advised clients on complex mergers and acquisitions, resulting in over $250 million in combined transaction value.
- Drafted, reviewed, and negotiated a variety of corporate documents, including shareholder agreements, partnership agreements, and commercial contracts.
- Conducted comprehensive due diligence investigations for clients in various industries, identifying potential legal and financial risks.
- Assisted in developing internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.
Highlight Your Education and Professional Development
List your degrees and relevant certifications, starting with the highest level of education. If you have participated in professional development programs or workshops, include them as well. We’ve included example of Education and Certification Section below:
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Juris Doctor, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law May 2016
- Graduated with honors
- Member of the UCLA Law Review
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA May 2013
- Graduated magna cum laude
Moot court competition awards
Law review or journal publications related to litigation
Recognition for pro bono litigation work
Cover Letter for Attorney Position
An effective cover letter for an attorney position should be tailored to the specific job, clearly demonstrating your leadership experience, passion for the organization’s mission, and the value you can bring to the role.
Land your dream job!
Get your Job-Winning Resume Today!
iCareerSolutions is one of the Top Professional Resume & LinkedIn Profile Writing Services and Career Counseling Services in the US. The iCS team possesses Industry Certifications and Awards, including the Certified Professional Resume Writer Certification and the 2019 Best Project Manager Resume Writing Award from Career Directors International and the 2018 Best Analyst Resume from the National Resume Writing Association.
Here are a few of Our Top Resume Testimonials
Arno was fantastic to work with! The structured process really helps drive clarity in brand and storytelling.
Dear Arno, Many thanks again for helping me with my resume. It looks great, and I feel I’m in a more confident, better place to show it.
Arno is fantastic! His process is solid. He fully understands your objectives and can edit your resume to bring out the best of your accomplishments. Easily one of the best investments in my career. Arno is engaged with you throughout the process and is able to work at your pace. He can turn around your resume quickly and collaborate with you on edits. I definitely recommend Arno for elevating you…
They helped me improve my personal Brand, they provided constructive feedback on my resume, LinkedIn profile, and cover letter. Now, recruiters are scheduling more interviews with me.
Arno has been a tremendous and effective helpful resource. He impoved my resume by about 1000% percent. I have had multiple people comment on how good the formatting work is and that is all due to Arno’s expertise. His Linkedin subject matter knowledge is also deeply impressive. I recommend him enthusiastically! Arno has been a tremendous and effective helpful resource. He impoved my resume by abo…
“I highly recommend Arno of iCareers for his outstanding highly professional time-efficient performance and assistance in professional powerful CV and LinkedIn-profile writing! His insightful advices and approaches based on his rich industry experience are invaluable. Do you need an efficient effective true professional helping you with your high-level CV and LinkedIn profile and more, do not hes…
Arno took the time to dig in and really understand who I was and where I wanted to take my career. I left with a resume that was of the highest quality and am confident that this resume will get me to the interview table.
I have had the recent pleasure of working with Arno after transitioning careers from start-up back to corporate. Arno gave me an appropriate critique regarding my resume (tough love) and guidance on how LinkedIn can work for me instead of against me. After working with him and his team I feel like I’m moving in a direction that will lead me to the best NEW career home. Thank you, Arno! Charles …
I can’t recommend this service enough! I got a beautiful resume and cover letter and within a week I was hearing back from many employers. I got the job I wanted after the first interview. I am beyond happy with my results!
I met Arno through my husband when I was trying to update my resume. He was extremely helpful and gave real insight in today’s industry standards. He was direct – which I appreciated – and provided guidance with what needs to happen and what I need to do. I am please with my interaction with him. Since working with him and his team, I’ve managed to get multiple offers and have achieved my end goal…